Tuesday, May 20, 2014

#415 G.I. JOE – ABISMO, COUNTDOWN and DOWNTOWN (1989)


In this entry and the next one, I’ll show some carded figures I have in my collection. I will start with figures from the Spanish series 4 (equivalent to the American figures from 1989 –wave 8–). It is important to mention, that these figures were released in Spain sometime during the spring/summer of 1992.
Some years ago, when I started collecting figures, I was crazy for G.I. Joe, that’s when I got most figures from this collection. I currently have most of them, and those which are still missing are very expensive and difficult to find, so now I search and buy them, but rather slowly. They must be complete and in a good condition.

Back then, I also bought some carded figures. At the time, they were already quite expensive, but that was nothing compared to the prices that carded figures have now… at least for Spanish carded figures, which are the ones that I mainly collect. I guess many collectors want to have the figure as it was sold, and they value the great artwork done for each individual card.

The first three figures will be presented in this entry, the next entry will show three more figures. Currently I only own these 6 carded figures from this wave, plus the Blizzard Tiger Force which was already shown in the entries dedicated to the European Tiger Force models (#253).


Wave 8 comprised the following "normal" figures (not belonging to any subgroup):

Alley Viper v1
Annihilator v1
Backblast v1
Countdown v1
Dee-Jay v1
Deep Six v2
Downtown v1
Frag Viper v1
Gnawgahyde v1
H.E.A.T. Viper v1
Night Viper v1
Recoil v1
Rock & Roll v2
Scoop v1
Snake  Eyes v3
Stalker v2
T.A.R.G.A.T. v1

In Spain, wave 8 also included a few figures from wave 7:

Budo
Charbroil
Dodger (in Spain, the Battle Force 2000 was part of the normal series)
Lightfoot
Muskrat
Shockwave
Spearhead and Max
Storm Shadow
Toxo viper
Voltar

Plus three european exclusive figures, which are now very hard to find:
Lowlight (similar to the Slaughter Marauders version, but different camo patters)
Mutt (in grey and dark blue outfit)
Spirit (in grey and red outfit)

The figures selected for this blog entry are:



ABISMO – DEEP SIX v2
Includes: Helmet, Backpack, Cable, Buoy and Rifle.
A nice figure if you enjoyed underwater battles. I always found a bit disgusting, that the helmet didn’t have a window through which we could see the face of the figure.



COUNTDOWN
Includes: Helmet, Backpack and Rifle.

This astronaut includes a special backpack which can be used as some kind of zip-line or to climb walls. The backpack is rather fragile, and is usually broken or missing some parts. It is made of four parts plus a hook and a weight attached by a string/thread.



DOWNTOWN
Includes: Helmet, Revolver, Mortar (3 pieces), Backpack and 6 mortar bombs.

This figure came with many accessories, which is always something very nice. The helmet has a very nice design and the mortar is a nice piece which adds a lot of playability.

FACTS and FIGURES:
  • Name: ABISMO/DEEP SIX v2, COUNTDOWN and DOWNTOWN
  • Toy Line: G.I. Joe (Wave 8)
  • Year: 1989
  • Company: Hasbro (U.S.A.)
  • Size of the figures: 9,5 cm (3 3/4'')

1 comment:

  1. El artwork de Gi Joe es sencillamente genial e inconfundible. ¡ Enhorabuena por esos blisters !

    ReplyDelete